Sunday, January 6, 2008

EMBRACE.

There is a blog that I read almost daily by a woman named Ali Edwards. She is a graphic designer and scrapbooker who believes in capturing life and creating art. She is incredibly creative and inspiring, and what I love most about her is that she is real. Very real. I think that is why she has a blog following in the thousands.

Anyway, every year she encourages her blog readers to come up with a word to focus on for the following year. A word to apply to your life. A word to live by. I pondered and pondered what I wanted my word to be and I pondered whether or not I even wanted to participate. I was a little scared that I would pick a word and then wish I had picked a different word. Silly, huh?

Well after weeding through "delight", "simplify", "grace", "grow", etc. I chose the word "EMBRACE". I really like that embrace has multiple definitions. The two that I like the most are:
1. to take or clasp in the arms; press to the bosom; hug.
2. to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly.

This is what I long for more of in my life - accepting things willingly, receiving them gladly, and above all taking or clasping in my arms those I love. Hugging them - pressing them to my bosom! (I'm sure Jonathan would love a little more of this, too!)

I want to embrace life and all of it intricacies.

the messy table full of a week's worth of bills, papers, & catalogs.
the unpacked suitcases from last week's trip.
the crying baby that just wants to be held and cuddled.
the big sister that gets excited & squeezes her baby sister a little too hard.
our health. our house. our love. our families. our church. our jobs.
our
mini van.

(yes, even the mini van!)

This morning, I am embracing the Christmas decorations that I didn't get put away before our trip! What are you embracing?

No comments: